Saturday, September 16, 2006

Ubuntu Dapper Drake

A lot of these posts will be about linux because it makes me crazy a lot of times until I finally get something to work how I think it should. So if I get something to work that I've had problems with, I'll post it here. I currently use Ubuntu (Dapper Drake) because its easy and is actually useful most of the time. I've used Fedora and Mandriva (when it was Mandrake) in the past. The best two reference sites for Dapper, I think, are:
The Unofficial Starter Guide
and
The Restricted Formats page
Most of the packages indicated on the Restricted Formats page can be installed using synaptic if you have first added the plf repository listed here. You only need to add the binaries repository
(deb http://packages.freecontrib.org/ubuntu/plf/ dapper free non-free) unless you have some need for the source. The page also has the repository for Edgy Eft up if you have already switched over. In addition, you will be able to install the msttcorefonts package from the plf repository which will enable you to use Windows fonts such as Times New Roman.

No comments: