Saturday, September 16, 2006

Ubuntu Screen Resolution 1280x800

My laptop (Acer TravelMate 2420) has a 1280x800 screen resolution which was not automatically enabled when I installed dapper. I found that the 915resolution package could help. So if you have this problem, try this:
Install the package 915resolution using synaptic. This may be enough but it wasn't for me. I then had to edit a couple of the configuration files for which, unfortunately, there is no gui to help. Therfore, do the following:
1. Open a terminal and type: 915resolution -l
2. The above command will give you a list to choose from, pick one for 1280x800 (for me it was Mode 65/32 bit) and write down the values
3. Then type the following in the terminal and enter your password when prompted:
sudo gedit /etc/default/915resolution
4. Edit the mode, xreso, yreso, and bit sections of the file to the values you have written down. For example, mine were:
MODE=65
XRESO=1280
YRESO=800
BIT=32
5. Then save the file and close the window
6. Then reboot. I know there are probably quicker ways but I would rather reboot because I then know everything re-started and I don't have to worry about that being a variable.
7. You may be done, but probably not. So next go back to a terminal and type:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
8. Go the area labeled "Subsection 'Screen'" and below that there is a subsection labeled "Display." Below that you will see a bunch of lines with resolutions. Change the DefaultDepth line value to 24 and in the depth 24 section, add "1280x800" at the beginning of the other values.
9. Save that file, close the window, and again reboot.
10. Once rebooted, you may have to go to System->Preferences->Screen Resolution and switch to 1280x800.
If you have any problems or want to see examples of how the configuration files look, check out these two sites: Display1 and Display2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the helpful info. I just installed Ubuntu (for the 2nd time) and I plan to run it full time now. I have a tech forum at www.keyboardjunkies.com that I am posting my little bit of knowledge on. I hope you will consider coming out there and chatting with us.